gcalogo.png

Saint Paul Garden Club (SPGC) was founded in 1927 and was accepted into the Garden Club of America in 1933. Throughout its history, SPGC has dedicated itself to urban beautification, conservation, land stewardship, and to providing educational programs in the area of horticulture and conservation.

 

Since 1981 when SPGC held its first fundraiser, the Holiday Tea Dance, its Community Fund has contributed over $700,000 in grants to local nonprofit community organizations and other nonprofit endeavors that further SPGC's charitable purposes.

1BF71C6D-E7D2-478E-877D-1C7E8C0DB0F4_1_2

Since its inception, SPGC members have been instrumental in keeping Rice Park looking beautiful. Members plant spring bulbs, annuals, and perennials and design and plant the urns each season of the year. In addition, the club maintains its gardens weekly, spring through fall. SPGC was an important partner in the recent Rice Park renovation, raising the initial funds for the feasibility study and helping to raise the additional funds needed for the restoration. 

~~~~~

A close association with the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum resulted in the purchase of 97 acres for the Arboretum in the 1960s and later establishing the azalea and rhododendron experimental gardens.

An equally close relationship with Swede Hollow resulted in the establishment of Swede Hollow Park for which we received the Garden Club of America’s Founder’s Fund Award in 1977.

~~~~~

GCA awarded SPGC $7,000 as the Founders Fund runner-up for our work  at Gibbs Farm.

~~~~~

In 2003, SPGC was awarded a STAR Grant by the City of St. Paul to fund “Blooming St. Paul,” a program still in existence today.